15 May 2005

Pros and Cons

Today we had a discussion with friends about the southwestern part of the United States, New Mexico in particular. Our family has spent a lot of time in Santa Fe and I grew up in Colorado. Thinking about the rugged mountains, arid climate, wide-open spaces, and perpetually blue skies often sparks pangs of longing in my heart, especially on days such as this; well into springtime, it is 40 degrees, raining and windy in Maine. We are still wearing turtleneck sweaters and winter jackets.

But then, driving home from our visit with friends, through the rainy car windows we see the reluctant leaves just beginning to pop out on the maples and birch trees. The pale green is not yet more than a mist enveloping the still-bare branches. The bridge over our river carries us by an old mill that has been restored and made into a charming restaurant. The sturdy white clapboard houses along Main Street steady themselves against the wind, black shutters nailed on tight, bright red doors welcoming those caught out in the storm, and warm glowing lamps through the lace-curtained windows indicate a pleasant room filled with the scent of home-baked bread and hot cider.

Maine is so cozy and colorful. Each season brings a new reason to cherish this state. When I miss the blue skies of the southwest, I remember that every place has its pros and cons. But when I add them up, Maine seems to have much more of the former and very few of the latter.

Copyright © 2005 - Paulla Estes

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with Paulla. Maine is how it should be..being a twice a yr. visitor to see my daughter & family ~ I have fallen in love with Maine. The small cottage I rented for a few weeks on Bailey Island, was a picture postcard location. I awoke each morning to the sounds of Lobster Boats picking up their catch for the day, I looked out the little attic window & the sight of the Lobstermen with the Atlantic Ocean in the background was inchanting.

Doug Adams said...

My family and I are thinking about moving to Wells, Maine. Do you still enjoy Maine?

Paulla said...

Yes, I still do. Where will you be moving from?

doug horseman said...

Hi Paula, We will be moving to Wells Maine. We just got back a few days ago. We will be building a house there. Any advise you have for me would be greatly appreciated. My wife and son are so excited. You can email me at pidoug9@att.net. Regards, Doug

Kevin D. said...

My wife and I are packing and loading right now to move to Maine. After 42 years of marriage we are calling this our last Adventure. Our business sold and a couple of other things fell in place. Have been there several times in past. Am getting a little concerned about the extra cost of living there. But damn the torpedoes. Maine here we come, Kevin.

Paulla said...

Hi Kevin, that's so exciting! I think you'll love it here and you're coming in the fall - the best time. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. :)

Kevin said...

Well we hope to land up around a 50 mile radius of Portland.But anywhere south of Belfast and near coast fine.Will probably want to work part time somewhere.But its all about home location.Way back off road.No noise.No cars going by.We have lived on dirt roads from Calif. to Arkansas.We just like that seclusion thing,Kevin.

Anonymous said...

Hello Paulla,

My name is Brittany. I am from South Carolina but my husband is from Idaho. We have lived in Idaho with our two children for about 2 years but we have had Maine on the brain for a while now and I would love to email you and ask questions about Maine. We have searched and reviewed some Pros and Cons lists on the internet for Maine but I would love to talk to a current Mainer. If you would, please email me at Brittany.epslaw@gmail.com. Thank you. I hope to hear from you soon. :)