30 August 2006

Misty Mornings

Well, today was one of those days. I left for a morning walk at about 6:30 a.m. and while the sun was shining through the bases of the tall pines, there was a misty fog hanging across the tops of the trees. In fact, when I left, I could see sunshine, but then the sun rose, and by the time I got back, the sun had disappeared behind the fog.

Yet, by about 10:00 a.m., the fog had completely burned off and gave way to a perfect, 70 degree Maine day. I checked the national weather map. Tropical Storm Ernesto was slugging its way through Florida. Much of the south and central part of the country was experiencing temps in the 80s and 90s. Alaska is already getting snow. But here in Maine, it was a perfect day.

I’m savoring this and I feel so thankful. Early mornings in Maine are such a treat – so fresh, clean, and perfect, even when it’s raining. But especially when it isn’t.

How about taking an early morning walk in your neighborhood this week – as the summer temperatures let up a bit, but before the autumn winds begin to blow. Wherever you live, it can be a pleasure. And if you live in Maine, well, it’s simply the way life should be.

Copyright © 2006 - Paulla Estes

No comments: