24 December 2006

White Christmas?

I blame Bing Crosby for our fixation on a White Christmas. Especially in places like here in Maine, we not only hope for a White Christmas, we expect one; and many of us are quite disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Yesterday I was doing some last minute baking for Christmas, and it was nearly 50 degrees outside and raining hard. My husband and I had been grumbling about the weather, the warmth, and the lack of snow, when the radio began to play the song, "Let it Snow." It begins with the words, "Oh, the weather outside is frightful..." and I began to laugh.

The weather outside WAS frightful, even though it felt tropical by Maine standards at this time of year. But it made me stop and think about how silly it is to get caught up in unknowns at this time of the year. Here I was surrounded by family in a cozy home with plenty to eat, and I was griping about the lack of snow.

I sat down to read and I pondered the real meaning of Christmas. I encourage the rest of you to do just that. Whether your Christmas is white, green, or tropical, put aside the desires and expectations given to us by the media and Hollywood, and remember why we celebrate.

Merry Christmas from the beautiful coast of Maine...

Copyright © 2006 - Paulla Estes

No comments: