23 June 2007

Dad's Toad

During the warm months, we like to go out on our back porch each evening and look at the stars or some such thing - just a reason to be outside. Nearly every evening for the past few years, my husband has spotted a small toad just outside the back door. We like that it was there, doing its best to keep the area free of creepy crawlies.

A few times the toad has been out during the day and we've had near misses with the lawn mower and/or edger.

Ok, we DO realize that there is probably more than one toad, but we've never seen more than one at once, and we like the idea that we have A toad - not SOME toads. Over time, since my hubby is the one who finds it, the toad has been dubbed, "Dad's Toad." In fact, there have been times when he's actually gone out looking for the toad, and was quite distressed when it didn't show for days at a time.

Last summer, completely forgetting about my husband's toad, I put some weed killer around the rocks on our back walk - right where we usually find Mr. Toad in the evenings. Once we all remembered, it was too late and we simply hoped for the best. About a month later, we were all relieved when the toad showed up once again, apparently un-poisoned.

So far this season, there has been no sign of the toad - until yesterday. I was cleaning up the area around our cellar door, and when I pulled up a tarp, there he was, amongst the dried leaves. In fact, at first, I couldn't see him, I could just hear him, so great was his camouflaged skin.

We were all glad to see that Dad's toad survived another winter. Isn't he cute? :) It's tough to tell from this photo, but he's about the size of a tennis ball.



Now we can all breathe a sigh of relief and get on with our summer.

Copyright © 2007 - Paulla Estes

2 comments:

Mary Diane said...

Dad's toad is a cute one.I am glad he survied the winter and the weed killer. We have toads show up once in a while and I love seeing them. They hang out in my garden a lot.In the spring of the year we have a pond across from us and at night we can hear them singing away. I love there music and I get upset with people that would like to kill them.
Its the snakes and spiders I don't like.

Cindy said...

Hi Paulla! We have a pond out front of our house and I'm getting ready to have little sign painted, "Home of the CroakRidge Boys" ! I love to hear them at night but hubby does not. Glad Dad's toad made it through the winter and the weed killer.