23 August 2007

Buried in Projects

My good friend, Kristen, who moved to Texas earlier this summer, phoned and asked why this blog has been so neglected. I've been scarce because I've been madly finishing up on summer projects before school starts the first week in September. Once the homeschooling year begins, I can kiss those projects good-bye. We've been painting, cleaning, painting, purging, painting, working in the yard, oh, and did I mention, PAINTING?

About six years ago I embarked on a mission to paint all the trim and doors in our house. The house was built with white walls and dark brown trim. When we moved in, it was several years old, but still had only white walls and dark brown trim. I like wall color, and dark brown trim only looks good with a small list of pale colors. So, room by room, year by year, I've been painting the trim white.

I began with a bathroom, just to make sure I could do it and it wouldn't look idiotic. I'm not one for sanding and such, so I found a heavy duty primer that I simply slap on (two coats) over the trim, shiny finish and all. After two coats of primer, two coats of white paint finish the job. I then painted the bathroom walls a bright periwinkle blue, and after that, I was hooked.

Over the years I've done both bathrooms, a couple of bedrooms, the living room, and now I'm tackling the kitchen and hallway. Can I tell you, I am SO sick of painting. But now that the kitchen trim is done, I have to paint the walls... and of course, once the walls are done, the cabinets just won't look right and will probably need paint as well. Yet, that will have to wait for next summer.

Of course, glutton-for-punishment that I am, I've decided to take on yet one more painting project just as school starts. My son is moving into the dorm in two weeks and my mom is coming to visit in six weeks. That gives me a whopping four weeks to clean out and disassemble his room (a daunting task, I assure you) and then paint the trim and the walls. Before Mom arrives. And start a new school year with two teens.

If I survive the next six weeks, I'll be sure to post pictures of the finished product.

That is, if the paint fumes don't get me first.

Copyright © 2007 - Paulla Estes

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Hope you get all that done!