15 February 2008

Conversation with my Son

I just got a phone call from my 20-year-old son who goes to college south of Portland. Although he insisted he needed his car while living in the dorm, he finds that he really doesn’t use it all that often.

But here is how our conversation went:

Him: “I hate it here.”

Me: “Where? In the dorms? At school in general? What do you mean?”

Him: “No, I just hate it here. In Maine.”

Me: “Oh…” (We’ve been through this before – he hates the cold.)

Him: “It’s cold and it won’t stop snowing. I had to dig out my car again and the snowplow left a two-foot wall along all the cars. Not only that, it was warm enough to melt a bit yesterday, so my tires sunk into the slush and then froze there. It took me 30 minutes to get my car dug out and now I’m going to be late for class.”

Me: “Oh, that’s a drag. Sorry to hear it.”

Him: “I don’t know why anyone would ever move here deliberately.”

Me: “Why are you driving to class?” (Just trying to be helpful.)

Him: “Because the dining hall is closing for winter break and after class I have to go buy food for the next few days before I come home!”

Me: “Why don’t you just come home after class today, stay here for the whole break, and we’ll give you food here?” (See, I’m a NICE mom.)

Him: “Because I want time alone. I have things to do.” (Read that, x-box tournaments.)

Me: “Oh, ok.”

Him: “I hate it here.”

Me: “Yeah, you said that.”

And on it went. I went easy on him and didn’t mention the fact that he CHOSE to stay in Maine for college because his girlfriend is here. I don’t suppose that would have been very helpful, would it?

I finally told him what I keep telling myself. Spring is just around the corner. Well, it isn’t really, but it sounds like a nice thing to say.

I don’t think he bought it.

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

4 comments:

Maine-ah John said...

LOL!
Poor young man, I think you handled it well though.
Maine does have it's ups and Downs...But I think I'd much rather deal with the snow then all the Tornado's and hurricanes that happen in the other states...
I hope eventually he finds a place he likes.
Stay safe
<-><->Many Blessings<-><->

Jeff said...

I can empathize with your son. I grew up in Maine, left, moved back in 1986 and have been here since. The older I get the less interested I grow in dealing with the snow, ice, freezing rain, power outages for days and so on. We will move south eventually. I've lived there before, so I know the heat pretty well. Tell ya what though, there's nothing prettier than a beautiful summer day in Maine - I think you know the kind I mean. :-)

Magnum-"DI" said...

Hi, I stumbled upon your MySpace page and blog, and wanted to say hello! I grew up in CT and spent many a winter week or two in Maine with relatives (South Berwick). Those NE winters do stink. I applaud your fortitude; I couldn't do it, I assure you. Which is probably why I live in Florida! LOL. Nice job on the blogs, I get a kick out of your sense of humor. Do you freelance? I do freelance work myself but that's another long story. Anyway, my brother and I (he's still in the frozen tundra of CT) will be up in ME this June via two-wheels (motorcycles) so I hope it's a bit warmer then! LOL. Take care. Watch that roof stuff with your hubby, that looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Paulla said...

Well, true confessions, nearly every year, about mid-February, I start thinking about what it would be like to live in the South.

The thing is, it would be wonderful this time of the year, but by about April or May, Maine is absolutely heavenly, and the South is, well... Hot. No offense, my southern friends!

I'm glad we have a variety of places to live - and VISIT when our own places of residence are less than perfect. :)