26 February 2008

Down it Falls...

More snow has arrived on the scene.



And snowy evenings such as this present a good opportunity to bake sourdough bread.

Here is a tried and true recipe that I actually got from my friend, Barb, over at My Sister's Kitchen. I make mine a bit smaller than Barb's, however. If you want a slightly smaller loaf than she describes, use her directions, to the letter, but use the following amounts of ingredients:

2/3 cups sourdough starter
1/3 teaspoon yeast
2 Tablespoons salt (this I didn't change)
1/3 teaspoon sugar
4 cups bread flour
2 cups lukewarm water
And I bake it for 20 min. covered and then 10-15 uncovered.
Other than that, do it her way. :)



As you'll deduce from reading her directions, this was actually started LAST NIGHT. It's an easy process which takes very little effort, but many hours are involved for rising, sitting, rising again, etc. You'll see. But it's well worth the time.

Bon Appetit!

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

3 comments:

Magnum-"DI" said...

Ouch, that snow looks baaaaaaaaad... on the other hand, the Sourdough looks mmmmmm good! Lets see, Sourdough or Snow.. tick tock, tick tock.. DING! I'll take the dough.. you can have the stinkin' snow! I'm off to Cedar Key, FL on Saturday morn for a club overnight ride. Forecast is 50's in the a.m. and high 70's both days. I'll be thinkin' of y'all up there in the frozen tundra.. take care! :)

Paulla said...

LOL ~ well you're just hilarious. I think I'm going to remember this, come July, when we have temps in the 80s and Florida is melting right off the map. ;)

Would it be completely evil to say that I hope you get sunburned? LOL ~ not really. Have a great time, enjoy the sun and stay safe. We here in the "frozen tundra" can live vicariously through you!

gardenpath said...

That bread looks wonderful!