21 February 2008

Lunar Eclipse

Buy at Art.com

(Disclaimer - I did not take this photograph - one of the few times I did not have my camera with me)


Yesterday around sunset, we were fortunate enough to be out and about when the full moon came up. Normally, we're home at that time of the evening, and our house is so surrounded by tall trees, that we can't even see the moon until it is high in the sky.

I had heard that there was to be a lunar eclipse last night, but as we drove along, marveling at the moon in the amazingly clear sky, I completely forgot.

We had a church activity last night, and when it was over, we all sat around chatting. It was after 9:00 p.m., and suddenly someone remembered the eclipse. We all ran outside in the frigid teen temperatures, and there it was. The moon was already more than halfway covered by the shadow of the earth.

We hopped in the car to drive home and peeked up at the moon every so often. Each time we looked, the brightness had grown smaller and smaller. By the time we got home, it was nearly gone.

When we went inside and realized the dog hadn't been fed, the fire had gone out, and there was work to be done before bed, the eclipse was forgotten and I missed my photo opportunity.

If any of you have photos to share, please let me know ~ I'd love to see them!

Have a good, sunny, frigid day. :)

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I was outside for an hour last night freezing - but saw it as well. It was amazing to see. I woke my 6 yr old up but she is sick and only stayed for a few minutes before going back to bed. I'm hoping a pal of mine will share her 3 photos of the stages with me for my daughters scrapbook.

I did come up with a question while watching.....if you are on the moon to you have to look up or down to see earth? And how do you know if you are on the top or the bottom? Just a thought.