06 February 2008

Snow? Oh THERE it is...

Buy at Art.com

Yesterday, if you remember, snow was in the forecast. Not just rain, but snow, with a bit of rain mixed in. You know, a wintry mix, with mostly snow. Let's just call it what it is - slush.

I also remember them saying that the temps might be up in the 40s over the next few days. Maybe they really said that or maybe it was wishful thinking on my part. I have no idea. All I know is that they changed it when I wasn't looking.

I watched the slush come down yesterday and it was definitely more rain than snow. I thought about breaking out a shovel, or even the snowblower, but the three inches we got were so wet and slushy, that I figured it would just melt and things would dry out over the next few days.

Of course, you know by now that I hadn't been watching the forecast. Late last night the weather guy on TV told me that we were going to get 4-8 inches of snow today. What???

This morning at first light, in a panic, I went outside and tried to deal with the slush. Let me tell you, a snowblower is utterly useless with slush, so I left it in the garage. I started at the end of our driveway where the town snowplow had piled all our neighbors' slush. Not really, but sometimes it seems that way. Thankfully the temperatures hadn't gotten below freezing overnight, so I was able to move the slush, but not without some effort.

It was like shoveling frozen jello. The concept of three steps forward, two steps back, came to mind. After about 30 minutes of that, I had the bottom of the driveway done. Rain was coming down steadily, so I shouldered my shovel and went back into the house to pout. I prayed that God would use the rain to wash away the slush.

We got on with our day, left the house, and came back late this afternoon. Apparently, God must think I need a bit of character-building, because the slush was still there. But where the heck was the snow? I'd secretly planned my day (and evening) around this big snowstorm we were supposed to have. Evening meetings and church services were being cancelled all over the area, but nothing was coming out of the sky. Even the rain had stopped.

My husband commented that the best way to stop as storm is to cancel everything.

But wait a minute. It just started snowing here at our house. Ok, THERE it is. Maybe it will cover up the slush and then I can pretend it was never there.

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

2 comments:

leedenme said...

lol well let me tell you the weather man told me this morning at 6 am the snow was done in western ME It is now 4:45PM and the plows are still out as I have had snow all day! can't wait to see what tomorrow night is bringing. Maybe it will miss us.

Paulla said...

So true - the whole thing came later and stayed longer than they predicted.

My neighbor told me we're supposed to get another big storm Saturday night. Whew!