14 March 2008

Jet Lag without the Memories

Daylight Savings Time is killing my schedule this week.

I will never understand why we do the clock moving thing every six months. Sure, I’ve heard all the logical explanations, but that won’t change the fact that I think it is a giant waste of time.

All it does is throw off our schedule for a week or two, freak out my cats because they aren’t getting fed when they think they should (an hour earlier), and make it harder to get up in the morning because it’s earlier AND darker again. Sheesh, the mornings just started getting lighter here in Maine and WHAM, now its dark again.

My husband tells me that rather than complaining about it, I ought to write to Congress about it. Who, them?

Nevermind. I’d rather complain.

Ok, yes, it IS lighter in the evenings, and maybe I do like that a wee bit, but it feels weird to be eating supper with the sun still shining through the windows. Could the day be over already? Surely not. It feels like 4:00 p.m. when its 6:00 p.m. Did we accidentally move the clocks forward two hours?

And one more thing – if we’re eating supper during daylight hours, shouldn't we be having cookouts already? Our grill is still buried under three feet of snow, but the clock is telling me I should be out there flipping burgers.

Ok – in list form – problems with Daylight Savings Time…

1. Darker mornings.
2. Lighter evenings.
3. Jet lag without the fun of going anywhere.
4. Evil cats who scream at me for “forgetting” to feed them on time.
5. Inability to grill.

One last comment: I don’t care if we use standard time, or daylight time. It makes no difference to me. I just wish the powers-that-be would pick one and stick with it. Although I admit I do like setting the clocks back in the fall. An extra hour of sleep is nice.

Maybe if we could only set the clocks BACK each time, then it would be ok. Also, lose the extra leap year day. That way, in a few years, our calendar and clocks would be completely botched and our lives would be SO much more interesting, wouldn’t they?

Buy at Art.com

Ok, I’m stopping now.

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Ok- I hadn't thought of that- but it explains why my cat has suddenly been acting like such a fiend lately in the early morning, meowing and biting my ankles until I go fill his food dish.