10 May 2008

Estes Lobster House

Earlier this week we had the treat of a FREE dinner at Estes Lobster House in Harpswell. You may think we rated the free dinner because we happen to have the same name as this beloved restaurant, but you would be wrong. It was a dinner for my husband’s business associates; but it is more fun to think they throw amazing lobster dinners our way because they love the fact that we share their name.

*Sigh*

Ok, back to reality.

And, back to the story.

First of all, the drive from Brunswick to Harpswell is charming all by itself. Harpswell lies on the end of one of Maine’s many peninsulas jutting out into the Atlantic. The town is totally old New England and as charming as they come. The coastline is rocky and rugged. The restaurant sits almost at the very end of the peninsula with views of the water on both sides.

Our party was on the back patio, facing the sun sinking down over the small inlet to our west. It was a tad chilly, so they had a tent set up with those cool outdoor heaters strategically placed. While we could have had anything on the menu, we ordered our all-time favorite meal – lobster rolls and lobster stew.

I might add here that I don’t do lobsters in the shell. Totally freaks me out to pick meat out of the carcass of the animal. Almost as if the feathers were still on the chicken when we start eating it. I have no problem with other people eating lobster in that way, but for me, I just don’t want to see where it comes from. I prefer my lobster cut up and prepared before I dig in.

That is why I will never truly be a Mainer. That, and the fact that neither I nor my parents or grandparents were born here.

But I digress.

We ate our lobster treats (and let’s face it, they ARE more treat than meal) relishing every last bite while watching the sun go down. It really doesn’t get much better than that. In fact, many of the people in our party were from the Washington, D.C. area. They understandably were completely taken with the whole experience and I think they had a hard time wrapping their brains around the fact that we live here full time. It’s like a kid living at Disney World – it just seems too good to be true.

The happiest place on earth? Well, perhaps no such place exists. But Maine is certainly one of the prettiest. Even on an overcast day such as this one.

Here are a few pics from Estes Lobster House...

The Restaurant



View to the East



View to the South



Our MaƮtre D'



Cool map showing where visitors come from...



My hubby ate lobster and then a giant lobster fought back. What can you do?




Have a good weekend, friends!

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

No comments: