26 May 2008

Memorial Day and More...

In case you hadn’t noticed, I’ve been scarce.

It all started with losing my voice. Somehow, if I can’t talk in real life, I find it hard to have my voice HERE. Well, not really, but that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.

In spite of the voice vacation, life has gone on as usual here in Maine, as it usually does. I did miss one party and one track meet (where our younger daughter WON the 800 meter run – go figure). I took two days off the yard work (one because of rain, actually, and one from the voice) and then I just couldn’t stand it, and I went back out to haul more branches and stack more logs. I mean, it’s what I live for.

Not that I need to be in a hurry to do this, because there are always more branches and even more logs to be dealt with. Add to that the fact that my husband took down about five more trees over the weekend. It might have been more – I’ve lost count. All I know is that the sun is beginning to shine down in the woods behind our house, where there used to be only shade.

Today, in honor of Memorial Day, we decided to go to the Brunswick/Topsham parade. In the past, when we’ve gone to this parade, we’ve gotten there early, staked out a spot on the Maine Street sidewalk, and we often see people we know. (By the way, yes, Maine Street in Brunswick is spelled like the state name). After the parade, there is a ceremony on the Brunswick Mall honoring veterans. We always loved it, the kids loved it, and a good time was had by all.

But this year, a change seems to be in the air. One of our kids is in southern California this week, visiting grandparents. Another decided to stay the night at a friend’s house, last minute. The other opted to sleep in. So hubby and I went to the parade alone. It was a first for us, and very unsettling. But only for about five minutes.

When we got to the parade, we parked in our special secret spot that is close to the route, but easy to get in and out of (and no, I’m not revealing it here) and then we got something to drink at the Bohemian Coffee House. We strolled down the side walk and found that we’d arrived a bit late because all the good spots were already taken. Since we didn’t have children with us who had to have a good spot to view the parade, we just kept walking.

Suddenly we found ourselves at the Broadway Delicatessen, and we found that we weren’t able to keep walking. We looked at each other, both feeling a little guilty and not even really knowing why, but without another word, we went inside, found a table by the window and ordered breakfast.

At the risk of blowing our newfound PERFECT PARADE SPOT, let me tell you that we had the best seats on Maine Street – and an amazing breakfast, to boot.

After the parade, to add to the decadence, we walked to the local 7-11 to get something else to drink (no, 7-11 isn’t usually a place I associate with the word “decadence” but I discovered that at the fountain soda machine, I could get a diet coke and add either cherry, vanilla, or lemon flavoring).

Life just doesn’t get any better than that.

After that, we came home and did what we do every day. I won’t write it again because you’re sick of hearing it and I’m sick of writing it. But it had to do with trees…

One last funny story to relate…

At the height (or depth, as the case my be) of my voice loss, I was down to a whisper, at best. One day at dinner, my daughter said the blessing before the meal and she prayed to God that I would feel better; but then she qualified it and told God that he didn’t need to be in a hurry to give me my voice back. Yes, this is the same daughter who kept asking me to repeat my whispers the whole time my voice was gone.

I know God has a sense of humor because my mother used to warn me that I would have a child like this. I, too, look forward to the day that my lovely daughter has children of her own. MY prayer is that I’ll be there to enjoy the payback.

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

No comments: