29 June 2008

Grieving our Kitty

Yesterday morning, our nearly 13-year-old cat went to kitty heaven.

He had a valiant fight with kidney disease after his diagnosis 5 months ago.

This past week, he really went downhill, and the IV treatment I gave him every couple of days, ceased to help. He stopped eating, he didn’t want to be held, and since Thursday, he’d been holed up in our closet waiting to die.

As hard as it is to make that final choice, I'm so thankful we had the option to end our kitty's life peacefully rather than watch him just wither away in pain.

He went very quickly – it only took seconds – and he was a bit of a fighter to the last, meowing and complaining to me about the IV in his leg. I loved that about him – he never hissed, scratched, or bit, but ALWAYS complained – loudly. He was such a funny cat.

Our two cats were Ricky and Lucy, brother and sister from the same litter. Lucy is still with us, alive and well, and as unfriendly as ever.

Ricky was my favorite cat and I'm thankful I had THESE PICTURES of him.

He came when I called him, always sat in my lap, and whenever I picked him up, he threw his front paws around my neck. He also slept in my bed and was my little gardening buddy. He was an indoor cat, but he went out with me in the fenced yard when I gardened, and just followed me around. He was so friendly, talked all the time, and was more like a little dog than a cat.

Here he is in the garden, just last week...




In looking at these photos, I realize that when we look at pictures of OTHER people's cats, it can be kind of underwhelming. You have to know a cat to really like him. Dogs aren't like that - usually you can see a picture of a dog and know what kind of a person he is.

Trust me when I say, this cat was special, all the way down to his crooked face and half-moustache.

I’ll be ok until I hear “You’ll be in my Heart” by Phil Collins. That one gets me. It TOTALLY describes how I feel about my pet-babies.

Our kitty will be sorely missed, but we knew his time had come and we're thankful we had the option to put him out of his misery.

He was a really, really good cat.

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

7 comments:

rfortin said...

i'm sorry to hear 'bout kitty.....theres always a empty space when a pet goes.....
take care
Ruthie

Nicole said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. You and your family are in my thoughts!

Michelle P. said...

Hey there, I'm so sorry. As someone who has been there, I understand your pain. Just know he's not suffering anymore and he's looking down on you. God bless you and your family You guys are in our thoughts.

Michelle

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. I know the pain of losing a pet. They become part of the family and it is devastating when you lose them. Keep him in your heart always. God be with you and you family. Wendy, John and Maggie

Paulla said...

Thank you all for the kind comments. It really is hard losing a pet, isn't it? And only six months after losing our dog... definitely not our year.

Have a great week, everyone.

Larry's Dad said...

So sorry. We lost our dog two months ago. Things haven't been the same without him.

KathyLikesPink said...

Oh gosh I'm so sorry to hear your news. I just went through this with two of ours. It's just plain hard.

Thank goodness you still have one to pour your love out to. It helps a lot.