19 June 2008

Slug Fest

This is the year of the new garden.


Last year I ripped out all our old, ugly bushes in an un-thinking frenzy, and this year, I've planted flowers. Tons of flowers. Living through Maine winters has made me perpetually color-deprived and I can't seem to get enough.

So imagine my dismay when I discovered that the flowers I painstakingly planted were being eaten.

I wasn't sure what kind of little monster dared to munch (and leave droppings - yuck) on my flowers, but I recently read THIS BLOG and I wondered if it might be slugs.

In the above-mentioned blog, Mir suggests putting beer into half a grapefruit, which will attract the slugs and drown them in the process. I was skeptical, and I didn't really have a slug problem.

Until yesterday.

So late last night, I set my traps. I didn't have any grapefruit, so I cut an orange in half, scooped out the fruit, and filled both halves with cheap beer. One of the peels was a bit ripped and leaking, but this was just an experiement anyway, so what the heck? I set each one next to my daisy plants.

This morning, I ran out to see my pitiful daisies, and lo and behold, the orange peel and beer WORKED.

The intact orange peel was still full of beer, but also had about six or seven dead slugs lying in it. Ewww was an understatement. BUT - no slugs on the daisies.

So I went to check the other orange peel, the one that had leaked. It had a bit of beer on the bottom, and one half-drunk slug grinning up at me. The daisies next to this one, however, were COVERED in slugs. Eww again!

After flicking all the slugs off the daisies with a stick, I threw them into the woods. Then I took the orange peel full of dead, inebriated slugs and threw THEM into the woods, too. I'll spare you the photos. Eww a third time.

I don't know if I'll ever think about beer the same way again.

BUT ~ I'll be serving it to the slugs in my yard every night this summer.

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

4 comments:

KathyLikesPink said...

I've heard of the beer trick but without the fruit rind. Out in Oregon (slug capital of the world due to all the mild rain), you use a cottage cheese container or a margarine tub. Same result. Although, you couldn't just throw it in the woods to decompose.

I have noticed that with all the rain we've had here in Massachusetts this (so-called) summer, my hostas and hydrangeas are looking pretty slug-eaten too. Dang things.

KathyLikesPink said...

Re: margarine tub - you could just dump it out and refill again though...

james said...

This activity station is designed for our wee little slug lovers. Slug Pre-School participants can also walk across our graduation stage and receive their diploma from Professor Slime.
===========================
JAMES
Maine Alcohol Addiction Treatment

james said...

slugs and their non-native cousins in a old-fashioned game of BINGO. Fun and prizes for the entire family!
==========================
peterson
Maine Alcohol Addiction Treatment