05 July 2008

Not The Fireworks Show We Expected...

Yesterday evening, hubby and I were walking up our driveway, when a HUGE flying bug droned past us. We felt as though we'd been narrowly missed by a small plane. We watched as the giant beast landed on the front lawn, so we ran over to get a closer look.

It was ONE OF THESE (Click the link to see it - and yes, your skin will crawl).

It was a bit more than an inch long and awkward looking, but it immediately started crawling around very quickly, obviously in fear, or in search of something. It headed (on foot) toward a tall tree, and when it got to the base of the tree, we noticed something we hadn't seen previously. There was ANOTHER bug of the same species sitting about four inches up on the trunk of the tree, but this one was more than twice the size of the other one. It was gargantuan.

For a moment, we thought (ridiculously) that the smaller bug was the offspring of the large one. But as the smaller one ran up the tree and jumped on the big one, we figured out that any offspring were still only a glame in the smaller bug's eye - or eyes, as it were.

Here is a photo of the mama-bug...



Here is papa-bug in pursuit...



And this next photo shows he was successful in his pursuit (warning, this image may not be suitable for younger viewers) :)



We watched, spellbound, and snapped pictures right and left. Afterward, I felt a bit like a voyeur.

The female kept moving, but the male was hot in his pursuit. At one point, she lost her footing and fell off the tree - with him still in tow... and miraculously, we got a photo of her falling...



When we went inside, she was still crawling along the ground, with him still chasing her, sometimes attached, and sometimes not. She was either sick of the whole thing or really playing hard-to-get. Part of me wanted to tell her to lighten up and enjoy probably the only pleasure she'd ever have in being a bug; and part of me wanted to squish him like the bug that he was and tell him to give the girl a break.

Either way, I guess you could say we definitely saw some fireworks on the fourth here in Maine.

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

5 comments:

KathyLikesPink said...

Yikes! Throw a saddle on that baby and ride it into town!

Kathy said...

YOWZA! I thought giant bugs were only supposed to live in places like Texas (which is what keeps me out of THAT state!)
Glad ya got the pictures, although one of you should've put your hand in the pic so we'd have a better perspective of the critter's size. Not that I would have put MY hand near a bug that big.
I will have to show this to my daughter, she came in yesterday with a big ol' June bug that she named Albert and wants to keep as her new pet. Ewwwww.

Larry's Dad said...

I'm not sure if I should say "Ewww" or "hahahahah"...

California Girl said...

OMG, this is hilarious, Paulla! You are quite the photographer these days!

Cara R said...

Okay, now I am not so sure I will be moving to Maine after all. That does look like something here in Texas! Ewwww! I actually got chills on my arms while looking at the pictures! Yikes! :O