01 July 2008

Strawberry Picking...

...and an update.

I just want everyone to know that the chipmunk went on to greener pastures. Before you choke on your coffee, let me assure you that we put him in the capable hands of one very cool lady here in Maine who rescues orphaned animals. IN FACT, she showed us two of the current babies she is helping... raccoon babies.

If you've ever seen the movie, Gremlins, then you'll know what these babies were like (the cute, cuddly gremlins... not the evil ones). They were a couple of months old, so cuddly, and cuter than any puppy or kitten I've ever seen. Plus, they purred - not like a cat, but more like - a gremlin. I totally want a raccoon now, but my husband says I can't have one.

* * * *

In case you hadn't heard, strawberry season is here. We went picking last week, but I forgot (GASP!) to take my camera. We had planned to go again over the weekend, but due to all the unforeseen sad events, we did not. Today, the sun finally came out - literally and figuratively - so off we went.

Our favorite place to pick is Rackley Farm in Bowdoinham. Not only are the berries huge, the drive there is lovely. The farm is located on the banks of Merrymeeting Bay, which is scenic any time of the year.

Here is a little photo journal of our day...

First, here is a bit of Merrymeeting Bay, while crossing the one-lane bridge...



Rackley Farm...



Older daughter picking berries...



Younger daughter very serious about the berries...



A close-up...



We picked all this in about 15 minutes...



I think this one could be used as an advertisement...



I couldn't resist another shot of the boat on the drive back...



Now, we've got some baking, freezing and eating to do!

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

5 comments:

Huskerbabe said...

Oh yummy!! Are you having strawberry pie?

rmgales said...

Those strawberries look delicious. I have a great 4th of July recipe on my blog that calls for sweet strawberries.

I hope that I can find some that look as good as those. I'll be making the cake on Saturday.

4pam said...

Your berries look SO MUCH better than our berries! My mouth is watering. Btw, I hadn't realized (or forgotten) that you, too, have reversed daughters. My younger is taller than the older, too.

Shannon said...

My mother and I took my nephew to Tates Strawberry Farm last week. We picked a lot of berries, and made strawberry melon shortcakes when we got home. It was a lot of fun.

It sounds like you had fun picking strawberries as well. I am really enjoying your blog.

Paulla said...

Thanks, Shannon.

I'd love to hear more about that strawberry melon cake - sounds decadent!