16 August 2008

Moving Day

Yesterday, the weather man told me it was going to rain all day. This was a bit of a bummer because it was also the day I was to help my son move all his belongings back into his dorm for the school year. He's an R.A. in his dorm, so he gets to move in two weeks before all the students.

The weather man was wrong.

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in Maine. As we drove out that morning, heading toward the University, there wasn't a cloud in the sky. And when we got to the dorm, it was quite warm. Stupid me, since I actually believe the weather man more than I believe my own two eyes, I wore jeans.

The dorm in question has a bright lobby on the main floor which is surrounded by huge, floor to ceiling windows. In fact, the walls on the whole first floor are made entirely of glass. This has a wonderful solar effect that helps to keep the building warm in the winter time. Yet, it does the same thing in the summer time, and that is a bad thing.

No one else was at the dorm when we got there, but the security system was armed, which meant we had to open the doors with a special card EACH AND EVERY TIME we brought in boxes or furniture. This would have been tricky with an easy door, but these doors are big, heavy, and they are programmed to close as hard and as quickly as possible. Probably to keep the heat in, which, in the summer, is not what we want. Just inside the first set of doors is a second set which are equally heavy and evil, but at least we didn't have to unlock those. Thank goodness for small favors.

What we needed was just one other person to stand there and disarm the door and then hold the two sets of doors open for us as we carried in trunks and such. Instead, one of us would balance our side of the burden with one hand, swipe the card, and then try to hold the door open as we squeezed through. Then, we did it a second time with the second set of doors. All this while the doors kept closing on us. Hard.

We finally moved everything into the lobby, and then it was time to move it all AGAIN - up to the 4th floor. Oh, and did I mention - there is no elevator. Plus, with all the solar heat, the stairwell is nice and warm. Lovely.

Oddly enough, in spite of all the HEAT, we had a really, really nice time. It was just my little boy and me, and we chatted and laughed while we worked. We didn't have to worry about anyone getting in our way, we didn't have to worry about making a mess with all our empty boxes in the hallway, and we could yell up and down the hot stairwell to one another, since no one else was around.

He's all moved in now and darned if I didn't forget to take my camera.

I was sad to leave him there. Not because he was all alone (I mean, he had his TV, his xbox, his stereo, and all his other "stuff". Not because I think he needs to be at home. He's right where he should be right now and it's all good. I guess part of me just still wants him to be a little boy again. But honestly, I wouldn't change any of this right now. I not only love my little boy, but I LIKE the man he's become. That's pretty cool.

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

No comments: