24 August 2008

Our Vacation - Part 1

We just got back today from a week at cottage on one of Maine's many lakes. We rented it sight unseen and hoped for the best. Turns out it was as good as we'd hoped, and more.

The main ingredient, of course, was the weather. After nearly a month of rain here in Maine, we had several days of abundant sunshine and warmth. We swam, we kayaked, we sunned, and we slept. I actually read two books while there, something it usually takes me over a month to do at home. We had meals on a screened-in porch over-looking the lake. Wow.

We haven't had a vacation like this in - well, I can't remember how long. It's been a tough year, so it was a welcome respite.

We took about a zillion pictures, so I'm going to dole them out slowly. This week while I'm doing a ton of laundry, getting the kids ready to start school, and continuing with all our renovations, rather than suffering through it with me, you can re-live my vacation photos. Trust me, it's worth it.

These photos are going to get me through the upcoming winter - I'm counting on it.

So here you go - first day or two...

First, here's the cottage - not large, but big enough for us. Besides, we spent most of our time outside...



The girls went kayaking the first evening, just before sunset...



Here is the view of them from the cottage...



My husband went fishing with all his new Cabela's gear (shh - don't tell LL Bean!) and he only caught this puny little guy...


Actually, he caught some really good fish later in the week, but this is all he got the first night. You'll see the big fish tomorrow - or the next day.

Here is the screened porch where we spent most of our time when we were forced indoors (like at night and the one day it rained). Check out the Christmas lights...



And here is the only good photo taken of me. You will never ever see the one taken on the first day when I was in my swimsuit and had no semblance of tan on my body. It was taken by my evil daughter, who will remain un-named, and it is from the worst possible angle known to man.

Anyway, here I am vegging on the couch in the evening...



Stay tuned... more to come.

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

2 comments:

Andy said...

That was a cool place!

Denine said...

Love the pictures! Glad you had fun! Makes me miss Maine even more than I already did! Gas prices and basically the "price of life" right now has kept us in Virginia all summer, so it was nice to see the pictures. Looks so much like my older brother's place outside of Bowdoin...
Have a great week!