03 September 2008

Second First Day of School

Ok, so yesterday, after TWELVE LONG YEARS of homeschooling my children, I sent my youngest (the taller one) off to "real" school and she left without looking back. It was the first day for high school freshmen, and she was psyched to go. I, on the other hand, was nervous. I felt like the mother of a five-year-old who puts her child in kindergarten for the first time. (Actually, I've been there and done that - my oldest DID go to "real" kindergarten, as well as first and second grade, before we brought him back home for school).

All day, I thought of her, of what she must be doing, etc. I love cell phones, because she text messaged me several times during the day to tell me about all the fun she was having. What a relief! But I was still exhausted when she came home at 5 p.m. after sports practice. And I found out then that the day wasn't over yet. As my friend, Tina, reminded me, while my daughter had no homework last night, there was plenty of homework for me. Sheets and sheets of paper that had to be filled out and returned. Today.

Oh, and that's not all. There were also lists and lists of school supplies, which, according to my daughter, HAD to be bought last night. We trucked off to Staples and found that the population of the entire state of Maine had decided to visit OUR local Staples last night. Who'd have thought? If I'd known they were all going to be there, I'd have brought my camera for a big group photo.

I finally collapsed into bed last night, only to wake up this morning to do the whole thing over again. Yes, today is the first day of school for my sophomore daughter. Today is the day the rest of the school gets to go, after giving the freshmen a head start. This daughter isn't quite as psyched about going to school as her younger sister. Mostly because she is not a morning person. Not even a little.

But they got up with smiles and I sent them off on the big yellow bus. Now I get another "first" day of stressing and imagining, and hoping for lots of text messages. And tonight we get to do the paperwork and the Staples thing all over again. Maybe I'll remember to take my camera so we can all do that group shot...

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

1 comment:

gardenpath said...

I forgot all about those trips out to get supplies the first day of school. Now my daughter is doing it for her sons.

Your vacation shots were wonderful. You got the light in so many different colors. It even looked like your kids were having fun!