30 October 2008

Oh yeah, Halloween

Ok, so I totally forgot that tomorrow is Halloween. It completely sneaked up on me this year. I don't know how it happened. I've been out and seen all the paraphernalia in stores. My friend, Tina, mentioned something to me just yesterday about Halloween parties this weekend. My kids have talked about costumes and such. But I still didn't get it.

Today I was picking up groceries, saw a big bin with bags of Halloween candy, and I thought for a moment. And yes, it hit me. It's tomorrow. What the heck? Where has fall gone?

You see, to me, Halloween is sort of the culmination of fall. I don't care that the calendar says fall goes until late December. In my mind (and by the looks of the leaf-dropping trees near our home) fall ends when the leaves hit the ground. After that, it's winter until the forsythias bloom, which is usually sometime in April. That means, sports fans, that by my calendar, we have nearly 6 months of winter here in Maine.

Disagree if you like, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

2 comments:

Huskerbabe said...

I feel that way about Thanksgiving. Of course it was 70 degrees here today, so I can put winter off for awhile more.

Larry's Dad said...

Ummmm, we've been in the upper 70's to low 80's this past month (not really typical for us though).