27 December 2008

Reality Check

Every year, usually in the week between Christmas and New Year, I plan our next year's budget. Nothing like crunching numbers to drown any remnants of the Christmas spirit. That combined with 50 degree temps and rain that is washing away what is now very dirty, shrinking snow.

Anyway, the yearly budget plan is always a drag, but it has to be done, and by the second week in January I have high hopes of paying off our house, skimming down our lifetyle (such that it is) and putting a bunch of money in the bank for a rainy day.

Yes, EVERY year I do this.

But every year the money we put in the bank always manages to be used up for the multiple rainy days we seem to have (read that: car repairs, vet bills, expensive teen-agers). Every year, the more I skim down the lifestyle my husband and I would like to have, the lifestyle of our kids becomes more demanding - and costly - mostly in the form of sports and camps. Every year we watch our mortgage basically spin its wheels and we make so little progress toward payoff that I can only hope to get there before we die of old age.

Really.

Oh, and then there is the issue of heating the house... but why go there?

All that to say, Christmas was lovely but now it's time to pay the piper. In reality, we went into very little debt over Christmas. We saved money in our Christmas account all year and used it all only on Christmas. Yay us! Of course, we never quite budget exactly right; plus, my husband and one of my daughters, who will remain anonymous, always go over budget. But they are quite generous, so who am I to fault them?

Where am I going with this? I have no idea. Just trying to bring you down with my budgeting angst, that's all. Especially if you live somewhere warm and are still wearing shorts at this time of the year. Yes, I especially cast my angst on you!

Ok, not really. Just making conversation.

Copyright © 2008 - Paulla Estes

3 comments:

Ladydiodes said...

A least you have a goal. and that is more than most households have. I too set goals. and after 21 years of marriage there is a light at the end of the tunnel. By the end of 2009 we should have all our credit card debt paid off and will only have our regular monthly (lights. cable. etc) and enough money to occasionally go to Vegas for fun and relaxation.

Paulla said...

I'm encouraged by that! We have only been married 17 yrs (almost) so maybe in a few more years, we'll be a little closer to the mark. Good luck with your budgeting plans for this year. Happy New Year!

jessica said...

Nice blog...
Thanks for sharing with us..

___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free