17 January 2009

Crying Uncle

We awakened to sub-zero temps again this morning, and I have friends all over Maine who are comparing not only the low temps, but also the status of their cars. According to my friend, Beth, who lives north of us, cars are dropping like flies.

Thankfully, (knock on wood) our cars started this morning. But they don't sound right. And the transmission in our van sometimes goes wonky at inopportune times - like when I'm pulling out into a busy intersection.

Today we will spend another day feeding the fire, but we will also have a family fun time of moving more firewood from outside into the garage and into the basement. I cannot tell you how thrilled my daughters are to be taking part in this event. They awakened early this morning and after making me breakfast in bed, they asked, "Dear Mother, when can we start stacking wood? Please make it soon? We love it so!"

And then I woke up.

Reality isn't nearly as pretty, so I'll spare you.

The really weird thing about this cold is that it warps my perspective of temperature in general. I mentioned yesterday about how the difference between -18 degrees outside and 2 degrees in the garage was so pronounced. But it gets better. After being outside in those low temperatures, and then spending most of the day working in the house, I finally went back out at 2:00 yesterday afternoon. I bundled up, of course, but when I walked outside, it felt - warm. Yes, warm! I thought, WOW, the cold snap has broken. Hurray!

But when I started up the car, the thermometer read 12 degrees. It had warmed up 30 degrees since the last time I was outside, which is significant, but 12 degrees? Warm? This time I didn't wake up. It was real.

That's just sick and wrong. So I say, "enough already." We need a bit of warmth here in Maine before we all start building igloos and looking over our shoulders for polar bears.

Copyright © 2009 - Paulla Estes

4 comments:

Kris said...

I hope it warms up for you all soon!

Connie said...

Wow! And we here in CA are having a heat wave, breaking high temperature records. I don't envy you...

Diane said...

Wow, I thought our 5 degree temps were bad. Minus 18? Yikes! I hope it warms up soon for you!

Scott and Kerri said...

My kids complain about bringing it from the warm cellar to the warm living room! Stay warm!