19 February 2009

It's Mid-Winter and I'll Cry if I Want To

This is the time of year that I begin to hate winter. It's odd because the days are getting (a tiny bit) longer, and really, it isn't as cold as it was. (20 degrees is quite warm after many days well below zero).

For me, it's the snow. Not the snow, in and of itself, but the CONSISTENCY of the snow. Back when it was cold (you know, way back when, in January), the snow was wonderful. Beautiful! It was fluffy and pretty and was how snow should be. When we shoveled, it simply flew out of the shovel.

Now, it is slush. Evil slush. Sure, gone are the freezing temps, but with that comes yucky, messy, drippy slush. Literally, it is slush when it falls out of the sky.

This morning I was pleased to see only about 4 or 5 inches of snow on the driveway (after 6-12 had been forecasted), but it was harder to remove than a foot of cold snow. It was like soup. And to add insult to injury, it was no longer snowing. It was raining.

Our snowblower is just that - a SNOWblower. It blows snow. It doesn't know what to do with slush. I have to sweet-talk it and man-handle it and threaten it a bit to get it to deal with the slush.

This morning, as I wrestled it through the end-of-the-driveway-purgatory of hard-snow-plow-packed slush, at one point, it stopped throwing the slush (or gurgling it, as the case would be). I kept pushing it, but then I saw (and smelled) smoke.

Thankfully, it was cram-packed with slush, so I dug it all out with a broom handle and we were good to go.

I did notice that my neighbor started snow blowing his driveway AFTER I was already out there, and then he finished before me. I think I hate him.

Afterward, I went inside to take a shower, and when I walked into the bathroom I heard that unmistakable drip, drip, drip. That would be the tell-tale sign of ice-damming on the roof. The water is dripping down inside the wall next to the bathroom window. I wanted to cry.

Instead I left the cold house and went to the library. Denial can be very sweet. Besides, in two months, the snow will all be gone, and with it the dripping. Right?

Copyright © 2009 - Paulla Estes

6 comments:

Kris said...

Denial is bliss - but only for so long me-thinks....

Sirona Jewelry™ said...

Hello, fellow Mainer! Happy to find your blog.

Anonymous said...

How much snow did you get on the 22nd of March?? We got about 2 and 1/2 feet in Newportland, Me. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry I ment February 22nd!

Paulla said...

Ha ha - I knew what you meant. We got only about 8 inches, but it was so wet and yucky that it was a nightmare to deal with. I'd rather have 18 inches of dry snow. You got THAT much? Good grief, are you still digging out?

jessica said...

Its an amazing blog...
just loved it a lot
thanks for sharing information with us...

___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free