17 March 2009

Not just a WWII General

Today I went to visit my friend, Jane. She's older than my mom and she's teaching me to knit. I have as much (if not more) fun with her as I do with friends my own age. Plus, she has a new puppy, so she could be a total stranger and I still would have had fun with her.

So as she was showing me her knitting patterns, I realized that I LOVE the way she talks, and especially the way she pronounces the word, "pattern." She calls it a "patton," said the exact same way I pronounce the name of a certain WWII general. She said it over and over and it was just the cutest thing ever.

Native Mainers, please understand that I ADORE the way you talk and I could just sit and listen to it and marvel over it all day long. I grew up in a home where both my parents were native Texans, so my childhood accent influences were quite different from what I'm hearing now. I love those Texas accents too, as well as those from the Southeast, the upper Midwest, and of course, those from California. Like totally, dude.

I think I'm the only person in the world WITHOUT an accent, but then, most people I know think the same thing about themselves, don'tcha know.

Here is a wonderful WEBSITE with a plethora of "Maine-isms."

And by the way, we had pot-roast again for suppah. Not lobstah or chowdah. Tomorrow I'll work on my knittin' patton some moah. Got that, Maine? ;)

Copyright © 2009 - Paulla Estes

3 comments:

Connie said...

Paulla,
I'm now learning how to knit hats. I'm pretty slow, but it is fun....

Paulla said...

Hi Connie. What are you knitting? I'm making a baby blanket - all one color. It's actually working!

jessica said...

Its an amazing blog...
just loved it a lot
thanks for sharing information with us...

___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free