23 March 2009

Quotes

I've always been a closet collector of quotes. I'm one of those weirdos who actually bought the books full of quotes. I say that in past tense because with the internet today, who needs to buy the books?

I could bore you to tears with some of my lists, but suffice it to say that Mark Twain is my all-time favorite. I can read his quotes over and over and still laugh out loud. Not only was he clever and funny, but he always used the right word, and used it well.

One of my many favorites:

"The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not." ~ Mark Twain

Tonight in my common-cold-induced-insomnia, I've been surfing the net for a couple of hours while drinking hot tea. I found that a blogger I've been following apparently collects quotes, as well. This gal is very funny and always seems to use the right word. And she's looking for your favorite quotes, if you're so inclined to share them with her.

By the way, as I browse the internet, it seems that there is a sad shortage of quotes about Maine. Good ones, anyway. I found a few, but most are from current politicans and are about as interesting and flavorful as cardboard.

Anyone have any good ones?

Copyright © 2009 - Paulla Estes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ran into the same problem. I send a "quote of the day" to family and friends, and tried to find a Maine-related quote - to signal our upcoming vacation in Maine (my wife's a native, and we have a place in Readfield). The best I could come up with is the following stanza from the Gershwin's "Love is Sweeping the Country," from Of Thee I Sing (1931):

Love is sweeping the country;
Waves are hugging the shore;
All the sexes
From Maine to Texas
Have never known such love before.

complete lyrics at song and lyrics at: http://www.rhapsody.com/ella-fitzgerald/sings-the-gershwin-song-book/love-is-sweeping-the-country/lyrics.html

bill smith
narberth, pa.
smithbrackett@verizon.net

jessica said...

Its an amazing blog...
just loved it a lot
thanks for sharing information with us...

___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free