15 March 2009

Sunny Sunday Afternoon

You know how there is that moment in time each winter when you just don't think you can take anymore cold/grey/darkness/snow/sleet/whatever? You know how you think you're just going to die if you don't feel the sun's warmth on your face and when you go to the supermarket, you actually cry when you see flowers?

No?

Ok, maybe it's just me.

Last weekend, I was getting to that point, and then lo and behold, the ENTIRE weekend was sunny and the temperature hovered around 50 degrees. I felt like putting on shorts, slapping on some sunscreen and heading to the beach. After weeks on end below zero, 50 degrees really does feel THAT warm.

Well, the weekend ended, and with it the mild weather. This past week was lousy. There was snow, rain, and grey skies nearly each day. One day there was enough snow to cover the ground (a couple of inches, I think) and then POURING down rain on top of that all day. ALL DAY. When I tell you it was like soup, I kid you not. I went into a fabric store that day, and when I saw all the FAKE spring flowers, I smelled them to see if they had a flowery scent. That's desperation, folks.

Friday morning it was 9 degrees. But yesterday and today, we've had a repeat performance (if not a better one) of last weekend. Today there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the high temp I saw (in our car) was 54. 54!

My husband and I went out to lunch in downtown Brunswick, and we actually parked away from our intended restaurant. No vying for the best spot with the shortest walk. No, this time we parked so we could stroll leisurely through the sunshine.

Here are some photos from lunch which are pretty much irrelevant to my whole kicking-the-dead-horse-subject of the weather here in Maine. But here they are anyway.

Us at Joshua's Tavern in Brunswick, which I highly recommend...



Old Maine license plates on the wall - I miss those!



Lobster Stew and Greek Salad - and note the sunshine streaming through the window onto the table. Yeah, that part was great, too.



After lunch, we walked to Wild Oats Bakery for cookies. Then we went into Bull Moose to prolong the outing. Actually, my husband went into the store. I sat out on the curb to soak up the sun and eat cookies. Yes, the curb. There wasn't a bench in sight, so I made due. Can I just say that I truly thought I had died and gone to heaven? I don't know if it was the sunshine or the peanut butter blossom cookie. It was a GOOD cookie.

I really do have other interests in my life which have nothing to do with the weather and food. I just can't seem to think of them right now. When I do, you can be sure you'll be the first to know.

Copyright © 2009 - Paulla Estes

6 comments:

Connie said...

How cool Paulla you have friend that read your blog you have never met! Let's go to Joshua's Tavern the next time I visit Maine!

Paulla said...

Hi Connie! For sure we'll go to Joshua's. So does that mean you're coming? Bob too? Nicole? :0) I can wish, can't I?

Andrew Mooers said...

Hang in there. Pot holes and frost heaves mean spring is coming, days are getting longer. Winter can be fun, but they are a little long. Think spring/summer at the lake!

J-Marie said...

We had the same kind of weather down here in Southern New England. That lobster stew sure looks good.

jenn said...

Nope, not just you. I'm already ducking into nurseries just to see plants and smell fertilizer. It's ridiculous but totally lifts my spirits and gives me hope for Spring.

Onedia Hayes Sylvest said...

I just returned from walking the furry kids and it is in the mid seventies out there. I know you will think I am crazy but I am just not ready for this warm weather.

I am however ready for the grey dull landscape to turn green (the bush honeysuckle is leafing) It has been a horrible winter because it was too dry and not cold enough but with the one horrible killing ice storm.

I can hardly wait for April when we get to travel to Maine. I can almost imagine I smell the saltwater.