03 March 2009

Yesterday's Storm

A couple of days ago a nice lady left a comment about the fact that I've made it clear that I'm tired of the snow. Ok, I admit it, I'm a whiner. But the irony is that I really LOVE the snow!

I love it from the perspective of a warm room (complete with fireplace, candles, hot cocoa and a good book) where I can sit and watch the flakes fall. I love it when someone ELSE cleans it up.

Yesterday, the snow wasn't bad. We got about 10 inches. It was light and fluffy, not thick and slushy like last week. We didn't lose power (a huge bonus) and the clean-up wasn't hard at all.

The problem now is where to PUT the snow. We have about 4-ft walls of snow along the sides of our driveway, and the snowblower just barely throws the snow over that wall. More often than not, the snow hits the wall and falls right back down onto the driveway. And yes, I have it set on it's highest throwing setting (my husband asked, so I figured some of you might ask, as well). The few warm days we've had (you know, above 30 degrees) haven't made much of a dent in all the snow.

Looking on the bright side, I guess we're building up our muscles with the shoveling and LIFTING, not to mention the roof-raking.

But really, I would rather be inside by the fire, watching out the window while someone ELSE does it.

Here are a few pics from yesterday:

Making snow angels - something you never outgrow...



My older daughter climbed up on the snow hill (that was once our garden) and protested all the snow removal. She made herself a bit of a snow-lawn-chair and got comfortable...



But a closer look reveals a smile in spite of her dire situation...



While they frolicked, I raked the roof, trying to avoid more leaks...





The fun part of every snow - catching snowflakes on one's tongue...



I should add here that the snow you see in our back yard is about 2-3 feet high. Where I'm standing, it's about knee deep on me, but that's only because the snow underneath the new snow is old and hard. Thankfully.

Stay warm, friends!

Copyright © 2009 - Paulla Estes

3 comments:

jenn said...

Ay yi yi, I hear you! My youngest can't even cross the yard unless we break a path for her first. :)

So glad to find another Maine blogger!

Kathy said...

Wow. It's beautiful. I wish we had more snow here (in Missouri) but then again, I'm like you and I like my snow from the inside looking out or just for playing outside. And I'd hate to have that month of slush while it all melts. BUT, it is beautiful!

jessica said...

Its an amazing blog...
just loved it a lot
thanks for sharing information with us...

___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free