21 June 2009

Father's Day Top Secret Oven Pancake

Happy Father's Day!

I have a top secret recipe to share with you that, for all I know, I've shared here before.

This is something we make every Christmas morning, and various other times during the year when we want to have a special brunch-type meal.

When my husband and I first got married, my mother-in-law gave me a recipe that my husband brought home from school in the 4th or 5th grade. I think it was originally a recipe he was supposed to make for her - maybe for Mother's Day or something. Over the years, as the recipe card has become faded and worn, the story behind the recipe has faded as well.

But if you make this, you'll soon find that it's something everyone remembers.

This is something that you can make in place of pancakes, and they are so good; so much better than regular old pancakes, in my opinion. And easier, too.

Here's the recipe:

Top Secret Oven Pancake

1/4 cup butter
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2/3 cup flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Put 1/4 cup butter into a glass pie pan and put it into the oven so it can begin to melt.
Put remaining ingredients into a blender and blend well.
When the butter has melted, pour the remaining mixture into the pie pan, on top of the melted butter.
Bake for 25 minutes.
While the oven pancake it still hot, cut it into six pieces, like a pie, and serve with maple syrup.
And bacon, of course.
Yum!

So that's what I made for my hubby today to celebrate Father's Day. I actually bought steaks last week and we'd planned to grill them today, but we both agreed that it wouldn't be fair to our Marlon Brando daughter - you know, the one who had her wisdom teeth yanked out on Friday. She loves steak more than life itself, but she's still pretty much eating soup and jello at this point. Since our other daughter gets her teeth pulled tomorrow, I think the steaks will stay in the freezer for a couple more weeks.

Here is a photo of the resident daddy and his three lovely kids. You can't spot the Marlon Brando cheeks because our lovely daughter let her long, curly hair cover the evidence.



I hope the fathers in your life are having a wonderful day.

Copyright © 2009 - Paulla Estes

5 comments:

Beth said...

Yuummmmmm. Looks good.

I nominated your blog for an award. You can grab it at my blog.

Love ya lots,
Beth
http://scraphappymama4.blogspot.com

Connie said...

What happened that I missed 3 days of blogging! Anyway, Nicole made "rough pancakes" that's what Bob calls them(blueberries and oatmeal) for him for breakfast.

Paulla said...

Hi Beth - thanks! You're such a sweetie.
Connie, those pancakes sound yummy. I think of you every time I have blueberries, because I remember when you were here, you always put them on your cereal. No idea why that stuck in my head. :)

Anonymous said...

Paulla, You are blessed with a great family!!!

Anonymous said...

You gave away the secret pancake recipe? Oh my gosh! :) Signed:Your Moyher-in-law. PS Love your blog. You are so talented. We are very proud of who you are.