29 June 2009

The RAIN

You're sick of hearing about the rain? Try living it. And let me assure you, it's the only thing people are talking about ALL OVER MAINE.

Today I tried to lift my soggy thoughts out of the fog long enough to remember how many NON-rainy days we've had this month (yes, I figured I'd make this whole never-ending rain thing more vivid by counting the sunny days). I can only remember three. There may have been more, but it doesn't matter now anyway, because they would have been way back at the beginning of the month, and at this point, no one can remember back that far. Trust me.

It's a little disheartening, to say the least. Summer is the BEST part of Maine. Ok, fall is nice too. So is spring. But the winter is long and cold and dreary and long and cold and... you get the idea. We wait a LONG time for warm, sunny weather, and when it doesn't show up, we get antsy. When rain goes on and on like this, eating up our summer days, we get panicky. Just the other day, my son said, "Yep, it's going to keep raining until it's cold, and then it will just turn back into snow."

And then I killed him.

Well, maybe not really. But his ominous words stuck in my head and I can't shake them.

Our vegetable garden is droopy, sad, and wimpy-looking. Our flowers are confused. Mushrooms are sprouting up all over the place and the slugs are having a field day.

But I'm not complaining. At church yesterday, a group was doing a book-study on attitudes. The subject of the week was having a thankful attitude vs. a complaining attitude. Sure, it shut everyone right up, but I'll bet we were all complaining about the rain on the INSIDE.

So how can we be thankful for all this rain? I'm trying to think.

If you come up with something, please let me know.

Copyright © 2009 - Paulla Estes

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Paulla,it will be hot,dry, and dusty, as soon as you know it.

Anonymous said...

Well, tomorrow will be our fourth day in a row over 100 degrees, and yesterday we tied a record with 108 degrees. (Lots of air conditioning units broke down because of this - so some people out here in CA had a very very hot and miserable weekend).

Does that make the rain any better???

Paulla said...

Ok, 108 degrees doesn't make me feel better about the rain, but it does give me some perspective!

And thanks to my friend, Barb, who reminded me that I can be thankful for windshield wipers, a clothes dryer (which now works again), and a roof that doesn't leak (not usually, anyway). :)

Anonymous said...

Perspective is good for us too (who want to move from CA to ME).

Apparently we timed our vacation right and snuck in and out of Maine during the few days of Spring that occurred earlier in the month..? In doing so, though, we missed our few days of Spring out here and went almost directly into the scorching summer heat. Ouch.

I love following your blog to keep updated on such things.

Stephanie said...

Honestly I have started to build an ark here in auburn ...sigh....

jessica said...

Its just an amazing blog... i just loved it.. thanks for the information..


___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free