10 July 2009

The Mouse in the Kitchen

We've always had mice. Every spring and fall, a couple of them make their way into the house and all but a few lucky ones (that we've caught and set free outside) have been played with and killed by our cats.

Since the mice have never stayed, or been allowed to stay, I haven't been too concerned about this. My mother lectures me on the filth and diseases brought by mice, but really, what am I going to do? I can get them once they're here, but I don't know how to stop them from coming in altogether.

The other thing is that the mice stay in the basement until the cat kills them and brings them to our bedroom to show us. The basement is cluttered and unfinished, so in all honesty, I really don't care.

Until now.

I mentioned recently that we got a new stove. A LOVELY new stove that is currently the newest and nicest thing in our home. Also recently, our aging cat brought a LIVE mouse to our bedroom and set it free. We never found it. The next day it was clearly in the living room, but the cat and I were unable to catch it.

I didn't see any sign of the mouse for a few days. A sign being, our cat looking frantically under the sofa or behind a bookcase.

Then late Wednesday night, as I was putting things away in the kitchen, a mouse ran across the kitchen counter and into the top of the stove. Scared the crap out of me. The new stove has a wonderful feature where we can lift the top of the stove (where the burners are) and clean under it. The mouse appeared to be in that layer. I lifted the top, but we could see that the mouse was in the small section just above the oven, with all the insulation.

You probably see where this is going. We couldn't get to the mouse without unbolting the entire stove, so we went on to bed and hoped the cat would get it over night.

Yesterday morning I woke up to mouse droppings all over the kitchen counter.

Now, I am not a clean freak. The floor sometimes gets dirtier than it should (mostly with dog hair) and we don't always make the beds. BUT - the idea of a nasty little mouse walking AND POOPING where I prepare food just pushed me over the edge. I told the family - that's it, either we're getting mouse traps or a newer, less-defective cat.

But after cleaning and cleaning AND CLEANING the kitchen counters, the day got away from me and I forgot all about getting the traps. Until...

This morning there were more droppings on the kitchen counter. And the floor. And on and IN the stove. So we started pulling everything out. Several times we had opened the drawer under the stove (and thankfully there was no evidence of mice in there) but this time, we pulled the whole thing out. And lo and behold, there was a MOUSE NEST in the corner behind the stove - - made entirely of STOVE INSULATION.

You do know, this means war.

That evil little beast is not only pooping where I prepare food, but it is also destroying my brand new stove.

So although we planned a fun-filled beach day today, on our first real day of forecasted warmth, I am going out RIGHT NOW to buy traps.

And I will not rest until the mice are GONE.

The End.

Copyright © 2009 - Paulla Estes

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stumbled upon your blog awhile ago and have been lurking for awhile. Mice LOVE chocolate. Way more than cheese. Use chocolate brownies to bait your traps. We did this and caught our two mice within two days. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem -- mouse, stove, insulation, etc. A dab of peanut butter on a mouse trap will get them every time! While using the trap, just lock the cat out of the kitchen at night until the mouse or mice are gone.

Carol said...

Also had a similar problem. Finally caught all the mice. Pulled out the stove to clean. Found the skin of a snake underneath the stove. I like to tell myself that the snake moved out when the mice were gone. I hope. I hope.

Paulla said...

I had to laugh at the first 2 comments together. Maybe I should try Reese's peanut butter cups? :)

Carol, mice are a pain, but a snake? That's just SCARY! Eww.

UPDATEd: We got a mouse in the trap last night. I'm glad, in a sense, but sucker that I am for animals, it also makes me sad to kill such a cute little creature. BUT - better the mouse than my new stove!

Tina said...

We've had a problem with mice this summer as well. We've got smart little boogers though that simply walk around the traps and avoid them like the plague. It took us 3 weeks to catch the first one, and it's going on 2 weeks now to catch the second one. Glad you had such success catching your unwelcome visitor quickly!

jessica said...

Its just an amazing blog... i just loved it.. thanks for the information..


___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free

victor said...

thanks for this information , thanks


___________________
victor
For 3 Months Enjoy Free 28 Premium Movie Channels

victor said...

its very intresting ,, thanks


___________________
victor
For 3 Months Enjoy Free 28 Premium Movie Channels