21 August 2009

Yesterday at Bailey Island

We have just over a week until school starts up again. With temps in the high 80s and lower 90s all week, I've been almost panicky about getting to the beach ONE LAST TIME before... well, you know, before all hope is lost.

But there hasn't been time. With all our different work schedules, fall sports starting up, and too much to do all the way around, it just hasn't happened.

Then yesterday, we had an hour and 1/2 free. I wanted to race to the nearest beach and make the most of it, but my daughters did not. (Yes, there is something seriously wrong with them - did public school ruin them? Whatever - a subject for another post.) Then one of them suggested we go to Land's End.

Land's End is a gift shop at the end of the road on Bailey Island. Literally, the road ends just before the surf begins, and there is a gift shop off to the side. I don't know if the area was called Land's End before the shop arrived, or what. Doesn't matter.

We went.

I've posted here before about my need to see the horizon on a regular basis (though it's sad how seldom I actually do just that). I've also posted about the magical drive from Brunswick, through Great Island, Orr's Island, and Bailey Island, to Land's End. Every time I go, I tell myself that I should make time to drive down there more often - maybe a couple of times a month. But then I never do.

There is a tiny, rocky beach at Land's End. We walked on the beach, waded in the chilly water, watched children pick up crabs and shells, and sat in the sun, watching lobster boats come and go. It was an hour of heaven.


Remind me to go back next week.

Copyright © 2009 - Paulla Estes

1 comment:

Connie said...

Too cute, I went surfing this morning for the first time in months and I have hope that I can be as bad as I once was again....