07 September 2009

Sunrise over Bailey Island

Yesterday I was bemoaning the fact that no one in my family likes to do anything fun. Ever. It was a beautiful sunny day and they all wanted to stay inside and watch a DVD. Granted, they had spent the day before outside, as well as part of that morning, but for me, it's never enough. Especially with the impending winter just around the corner. As John Wayne would say, "we were burning daylight!"

So my husband said something that shocked me. He suggested we get up early the next morning and drive to the end of Bailey Island to watch the sunrise over the ocean.

That's true love, folks. This is a man who is not a morning person and who rarely gets a good night's sleep. He has to be up before dawn every day, and one of the things he likes to do most is to sleep in. So of course I jumped at the chance before he changed his mind.

Then at 4:30 this morning when my alarm went off, I wondered what the heck I was thinking when I agreed to this. It was COLD. And DARK. Had I slept through fall, only to find winter at my doorstep?

We dressed for the 40 degree chill and made the quiet drive to Bailey Island.

And this is what we saw...




Did I mention there was a full moon?



Lobstermen were already out working hard.




Here it comes...



We applauded when it peeked over the horizon.




What a way to start the day.




After that, we went out for breakfast and then everyone came home and went back to bed.

Happy Labor Day, everyone.

Copyright © 2009 - Paulla Estes

4 comments:

Snow Day said...

Beautiful pictures!

Connie said...

Great pics, Paulla!

Marilyn S said...

isn't this what Maine's all about! Beautiful photos....

Heather said...

WOW... makes me even more homesick for the eastcoast!

Thanks for sharing!!

Heather in Ontario Canada