24 December 2009

Seventeen

Seventeen years ago last night, we went out to dinner and had Mexican food. I was 9-months pregnant and a week away from my delivery date. My darling husband gave me a jalepeno and told me it was a green pepper. Twenty-four hours later, I went into labor.

It was Christmas Eve.

We got to the hospital at about 8:30 p.m. and the nurse told us we were going to have a Christmas baby. It sure looked that way. But our daughter was never one to do things that people expect her to do - not now and not back then. She arrived at 11:30 p.m.



Our baby girl was the best Christmas present I'd ever had. And each year since, she has been the gift that keeps on giving.

Over the years, many folks have asked if it's been difficult or disappointing to have a Christmas birthday to celebrate. I actually wondered about this, too, but I'm here to tell you, having a Christmas Eve baby has only enhancedd Christmas for me. Plus, she gets to celebrate a "half-day" in June (thanks to the wisdom of my mother-in-law).

And each year since my baby's birth, I've remembered another young mom who gave birth to the most special child over 2000 years ago. A great reminder of what Christmas is all about.

Merry Christmas Eve, and...



Happy 17th Birthday to my Christmas Eve Baby. :)

Copyright © 2009 - Paulla Estes

2 comments:

Snow Day said...

Nice! Merry Christmas!

Duane said...

We had mexican the night before my daughter was born 19 years ago this coming Tuesday evening!