11 January 2010

Ringing in the New Year

Is it the 11th already?

So far this year we have celebrated an anniversary, celebrated a birthday, gone to four high school basketball games, dug out of one big snowstorm, lost our precious cat to cancer, and acquired three new cats.

We got back from an away basketball game tonight and now, at 11:30 p.m., our daughter is doing her homework, our son is getting ready to move back to college tomorrow, I am doing laundry, and one of the cats is spazzing all over the house.

And I wonder why I'm tired...

Although I squeezed the news about our cat into that first, busy paragraph, it is obviously the real story of our year so far. We knew in December that our 14-year-old cat had cancer, and my prayer was that she'd make it through the holidays. She did. She actually felt quite well until just after the new year. We had her put to sleep last Wednesday, the 6th.

I'm in the midst of writing a post/story about the cat - not so much because the world needs (or wants) to hear the story about an average cat, but because the story is really about our lives and her part in it. Looking back, I still find it hard to wrap my brain around the fact that my two youngest were babies when we got our cat and her brother. Now those babies are in high school. Suffice it to say, this cat was family. And then some.

I hope to finish the story this week... while working each day, going to another basketball game, moving my son back to school, and thinking about taking down the Christmas tree.

Oh, and about the THREE new cats? Yeah, I'm pleading insanity on that one.

Copyright © 2010 - Paulla Estes

3 comments:

smilla4blogs said...

How nice to stumble across a Maine blog and tales of life in our state.
So sorry to read of the loss of your cat...it's terrible when they go...

Beth said...

Life goes on. Don't you think if your precious cat could speak, she would have told you that? You were a great family for her. Now you can give that love to three more kitties. We have 3 cats in our house. It is so much fun!

Connie said...

Paulla,
I'm tired just reading what you do in your week! I gotta agree that 3 cats is insanity though!