22 April 2010

Earth Day in Maine

This was one of those "all the stars are in alignment" kind of days. Most of it, anyway.

First off, the forecast said rain. Instead, we awakened to sunshine and birds singing. On Earth Day, the earth in Maine was smiling. Widely.

It is Spring Break for our local schools, so while one daughter was at work today, my other daughter and I visited thrift stores and had lunch in the sunshine. There's something about purchasing second-hand furniture and other materials that makes me feel like I'm contributing to Earth Day.

Then we all came home and played badminton in the backyard until a light thunderstorm passed through.

It wasn't long until the sun streamed through the windows once more, raindrops glistening. All we needed was a bunch of fresh fruit and veggies from the farmer's market, and a vase full of freshly cut flowers on the kitchen table.

But no matter how much this FEELS like summer, it isn't. The trees are just beginning to bud and the fruit and vegetable seeds are just now being bought and planted. And if we put a vase of flowers on the table, our psychotic cat would just knock it over.

Speaking of which, but totally unrelated to Earth Day, the aforementioned psychotic cat committed a terrible crime today. We have a ceramic bald eagle which was given to my husband by his parents when he graduated college. Not long after we were married, I was carefully moving the eagle so it could be packed up for a move, and a wing feather broke off. I chalk it up to being young and stupid, but no matter how you slice it, my husband was a jerk about it. Not that I'm still bitter or anything.

So the dreaded, beloved eagle sits in our bedroom atop an armoire that is taller than both of us. There is no other furniture nearby, other than a rocking chair.

Well, this morning the cat in question jumped from the back of the rocking chair to the top of the armoire and knocked over the eagle. It broke into several pieces - the wings, the head, the tail. It was pretty much obliterated.

With the knowledge that my husband loves that eagle more than life itself, I phoned to tell him of its untimely death. Yet, I'd forgotten that the silly behavior about the eagle all those years ago came from the lips and heart of a young man. That same young man, while still young in the face today, has great wisdom all these years later. He listened calmly when I told him the bad news, and then he sighed a little. I don't remember all that he said, but it was something along the lines of "No need to cry over spilled milk."

"Huh?" I asked. "Aren't you going to come home and kill the cat?" No, he wasn't. He did casually mention tonight that we might roast up the cat for supper, but the cat's a skinny little beast and wouldn't have gone far.

So the eagle is dead but the cat still lives. For now.

And thus ends Earth Day in Maine.

Copyright © 2010 - Paulla Estes

No comments: