15 April 2010

Maine Therapy

Yesterday was a lousy day. Stress, hurt feelings, too many phone calls, worries about my kids, and I got very little done that I set out to do. At 10:00 last night, I decided to completely re-arrange my kitchen, but ultimately went to bed with it only half done and stuff everywhere. I fell asleep last night much too late, with my mind racing, full of concerns.

The cats woke me up at 5:30, racing around the room, knocking things over, meowing loudly, smacking each other around and wreaking havoc. That's their lovely way of waking me every morning.

I hit the ground running because today looked to be no better than yesterday. With one sick kid (who has had too many sick days and had to go to school anyway), and an early morning eye-doctor appointment, it took getting up at 5:30 to get everyone out the door on time.

After having air blown into my eyes (who doesn't love that?) and being blinded by tiny bright lights, I left the doctor with a clean bill of health and a new package of contact lenses. Then I made the arduous trip to Wal-Mart, my favorite place in the world to go (cue sarcasm). Arduous because of the road work being done on EVERY road between my eye doctor and Wal-Mart. And arduous because... Wal-Mart. Yeah.

After getting what I needed, I raced off to the next thing, winding through traffic, muttering to myself, and probably holding my breath. After escaping the traffic, my route took me along Route One, right next to the Androscoggin River in Brunswick. And then, suddenly, everything slowed down.

The sky was so blue, as was the river. People were walking along the bike path. And two bald eagles were gracefully gliding about 200 feet above the water. It was like one of those scenes in a movie where everything goes quiet, with maybe only a bit of classical music playing in the background.

At that moment, nothing else mattered. It was a moment in which I wanted to stay - for a very long time.

I drove on, continuing with a busy day, but with a whole different perspective. While moments before, the world seemed out to get me, those eagles and that blue water was a little sign from God that no, it's all going to be ok.

Just breathe.

Copyright © 2010 - Paulla Estes

1 comment:

Andy Mooers said...

We all have so much to be grateful for. For example, hunger. Not having a meal for days or knowing where one is coming next. Or at all. Or the kids are healthy, you are connected and a family. No price on that. And lastly, living in Maine. There is no place like it.