19 June 2010

June-teenth

Does anyone even know what that means? I've always heard my mom say that June 19 is known as June-teenth, but I don't know if that's a Texas thing, a wacky mom thing, or if it really exists past the front door of the house where I grew up.

School has been out for three days now and I think we're all a bit shell shocked. Suddenly there is no homework, no sports practice, no stress. On Thursday, we just sat around sort of staring at each other, the girls saying, "can you believe it's really over?" Wow.

So today my kids are scattered around Maine - swimming in the bay, kayaking in the river, and having summer fun. Yesterday we went to Popham Beach for the day. I'm vividly remembering last summer at this time when we were lamenting the ongoing rain. It rained nearly all of the month of June and most of July.

Today we're getting tanned and feeding our sun-starved souls. I wish I could bottle up days like today and save bits of them for January and February. Ah, well.

Copyright © 2010 - Paulla Estes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really does exist, at least in Texas. It is the day that General Gordan Granger let slaves in Texas know they were free. See...Mom is always right. ;)

Anonymous said...

June-teenth
"From its Galveston, Texas origin in 1865, the observance of June 19th as the African American Emancipation Day has spread across the United States and beyond."

It started as a Texas thing-sortof.

I'm in Texas... but wishing I were in Maine right now : )