25 July 2010

July - Day 25

Happy Birthday to my precious son who is growing up (has grown up), is moving away (has already gone), and is making his own way in the world (still in progress).

This has been a tough year for my little boy who is now a man, but then, life is often tough, isn’t it? Amidst the life-altering decisions, painful breakup, and move 3000 miles away from home, there has been a lot of good. He got accepted to not one, but two very good grad schools. He graduated college with honors. He stayed on the Dean’s list his last semester in spite of all the turmoil. He did decide to forego the big road trip across country with me and his sisters, but he flew out west earlier than planned and has had a restful and quite warm vacation.

My son’s life in Maine is over, for the time being. He will be back to visit around Christmastime and in the summer, but he most likely will not be moving back; at least not any time soon.

For any mom, this time in life is bittersweet. I am excited for this new chapter in my son’s life and I believe it is a good thing. I also wish he was going to be just a short drive away for the rest of his life.

But for today, on his 23rd birthday, I have reunited with my son in New Mexico. He has stayed at his grandmother’s house for a few days, and tonight we all met for a birthday celebration and reunion. For today, he is just my little boy and I can do my best to make sure THIS day is a good one.

Happy Birthday, Andy.


Copyright © 2010 - Paulla Estes

No comments: