25 December 2010

Merry Christmas - you should be in Maine

Really.

If you like snow, that is. Apparently, Big Daddy will be visiting us tomorrow. Who is Big Daddy? Let me introduce you...

Big Daddy

Not that snow is the ONLY thing Maine has to offer from Christmas time on into late April. No - there's so much more. There are all the winter sports, which don't really count because they are related to snow. There's also the lack of people and crowds, which, I suppose, are snow related also. Oh, and there's the... oh wait, that's snow related, too. Ok, so how about the indoor activities like drinking hot chocolate and reading and... ok, yeah, we're in there because of all the snow.

I mentioned a few days ago that my son is here, after spending the past semester in Arizona. When he left earlier this week to fly out here, it was 80 degrees there. He's been in a bit of shock from the cold, to say the least. And this is a kid who never really liked the cold when he did live in Maine full time.

As we were driving to the Christmas Eve service at our church, looking at Christmas lights and snow, I asked him if he's enjoying being back in New England for Christmas. He laughed and said, "What's to like?" I reminded him about how here it FEELS like Christmas, not to mention the coziness of the small towns, the nice people, the safety, etc. He then went on to explain to me that he thinks everyone in Maine who actually likes it must be suffering from some type of Stockholm Syndrome.

Yeah, those are the kinds of conversations we are having. Thanks, son - love what grad school has done to you!

Seriously, though - this is an enchanting land. Yes, it's cold, but that's a small price to pay for such a lovely place.

I probably posted this last year, but it's worth another look and listen. This song always makes me cry a little because it's just so sweet...



Merry Christmas!

Copyright © 2010 - Paulla Estes

1 comment:

Connie said...

I had to ask Bob what "Stockholm Syndrome" was, I guess AZ agrees with him???