27 May 2011

Making me think...

I'm reading the memoir, "Lit" by Mary Karr. Among other things, it is well written and chock-full of quotable quotes. In fact, one reviewer wrote: "Karr seems to have been born with the inability to write a dishonest - or boring - sentence." (Lev Grossman, Time Magazine)

Understand that I'm a poet on the inside. I likely will never write poetry, and the truth is, I don't even read poetry very often. But I love poetic language. A beautifully written sentence can affect me much like a sparkling spring morning in the mountains - it stays with me long past the initial and momentary enjoyment.

John Steinbeck is a poetic writer, which is why I unashamedly read his books again and again. Rarely do I find an author whose writing measures up even a little, to Steinbeck, but I can safely say that Mary Karr is one of the few.

I say all this only to share one of her sentences that hit me right between the eyes. I've been overworked and overwhelmed and melancholy and downright negative for the past couple of months. I've found myself whining about the not so distant past and dreading the near future. I keep thinking things such as, "life will be easier when..."

No. Life won't be easier when.

There is always a new set of problems with every day, every year, every season of life. We must live in today and make the most of THIS day.

Mary Karr says it like this: "If you've got one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, you're straddling today - pissing all over it rather than living in it."

So as of this moment, I intend to stop pissing all over today.

You're welcome.

Copyright © 2011 - Paulla Estes

1 comment:

Lili said...

heehee love that analogy!