31 May 2011

What are you reading?

My friend, Connie, whom I don't talk to nearly enough (because she has the audacity to live all the way out in San Diego) always asks me what I'm reading. And she is always reading something new and different and wants to talk about it.

I LOVE THIS.

I love all my friends and all they have to offer our friendships, but talking about books and being forced to think about new things and new ideas and new concepts... that really floats my boat. Plus, I've read books I never would have even heard of, had Connie not brought them to my attention.

So I have two must-read suggestions for you today. Just pretend I'm Connie. :)

First, (and I'm not being paid to say this) run, don't walk, and go pick up the June edition of Down East Magazine. There is a very sweet article by the daughter of Robert McCloskey(of One Morning in Maine fame), there's a centerfold of the controversial mural taken down by Governor Paul LePage, and best of all, there's a colorful story about Maine's segment of The Appalachian Trail.

Second, find a copy of Mary Karr's memoir, Lit. I think I've mentioned it here twice this week. It's affected me THAT much. It's phenomenally well written. Read it for that, if nothing else. But it's also funny, insightful, poignant, sad, frustrating, and wonderful. It's real life. Not-so-pretty real life, but written beautifully. And in the end, though not everything gets tied up in a neat little bow, still,... it's all good.

So there you go. You have your marching orders.

And tell me... what are you reading?

Copyright © 2011 - Paulla Estes

3 comments:

Our Side of the Mountain said...

How neat! I read the piece on-line at Downeast. Sal taught me French one semester in high school, so it's interesting to see what the "girls" are up too. Thanks for sharing!

Jessy (in Western Maine)

Huskerbabe said...

I just finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter...it was interesting.

Paulla said...

Kris, I've heard of that one - I'll have to check it out.

Jessy, thanks for writing. You had Sal as a teacher? How cool!

Have a great day. :)