23 July 2011

Hot Hot Hot

Much like the rest of America, we're right smack in the middle of an oppressive heat wave. It's been warm and humid all week, but then yesterday, the temperature shot up into the low 100s, which is really rare around here. As a child I spent a lot of summer vacations in Houston, visiting my grandmother. THIS is what that felt like.

The in-laws are visiting, and while my husband and Grandpa spent the day fishing on a lake, the girls and I planned a beach day with Grandma. We were going to visit friends at their condo on Old Orchard again, where the parking is good (and free) and the beach not so crowded. But then that fell through, so we planned to park with the rest of the masses and just do the beach the regular way.

But then... the heat. I've been to the beach on those super-hot days we only get a few times each summer. What happens is, HALF the state goes to the beach that day. It's crazy. And crowded. And hot. Damn hot.

And let's face it, the ocean in Maine isn't the place to dip in and cool off from the heat. Stepping from 100 degrees into that frigid surf is like putting a sizzling hot pan into a tub of ice water. Loud popping noises happen and someone might get hurt.

So we decided to fore-go the beach. Instead, we opted for the air-conditioned Maine Mall. And let me tell you, the OTHER HALF of Maine had the same idea we did. It was packed like it is at Christmastime. But we did have A/C. And milkshakes from Johnny Rockets. Take THAT all you masses of beach-goers.

This morning the guys are braving the heat and going fishing again, and this time, they're taking our 17-year-old daughter with them. It turns out that yesterday, the only thing they took out on the boat for an 8 hour day in 100 degree temps was three small bottles of water and a thermos of coffee. A small bag of chips might have been involved too, but that's it.

These are grown men who have been all over the world and know a thing or two. Yet... well, I really can't say anything else without being utterly disrespectful. Suffice it to say that today I dragged myself out of bed at 4:15 a.m. and packed a cooler of food and drinks for the three of them. And do you know what? They acted as if it was their idea.

My plans today involve doing most if not all of the required physical labor before 10 a.m. Then the rest of the day will be spent enduring the heat and going from air-conditioned place to air-conditioned place. Tomorrow, they say, we'll be back in the 70s. And THAT is the Maine we all know and love.

Copyright © 2011 - Paulla Estes

4 comments:

A New England Life said...

My daughter wanted to go to the beach yesterday with her boyfriend and I said 'no'. I've already got one I'm worried about down at the Gathering of the Vibes in Connecticut. I don't need to worry about my youngest too.

So funny about the mall. I didn't go anywhere yesterday. It was just to hot! Nice to see a little rain this morning for the gardens and lawns.

At least they'll be hydrated out there on the water today! Crazy guys.

I'll still take this over snow ; )

Paulla said...

Me too - I don't miss the snow. Every time I complain about the heat, my husband says - "Just think of January." Yep, that does the trick.

Cara R said...

I couldn't believe the temps/humidity/stickiness on those days last week! And, I am from Texas! Yikes! We don't have A/C in our house here, but in Texas we could go inside and escape the heat somewhat with our(never take for granted again) central air! We went to the mall/beach, also those days. :)

Justin said...

Just wanted to say I had stumpled across your blog via Maine food and Lifestyle and its great. Take Care.