12 September 2011

September 12

Yesterday, with the rest of America, I remembered. I mean, who doesn't? Anyone old enough to have watched the horror unfold on TV remembers.

My youngest child was 7-years-old at the time, and now a senior in high school, she remembers it vividly. Many people told me at the time that I shouldn't allow my children to watch the images on TV: the images of the planes crashing, the buildings burning and falling, and the people jumping out of the World Trade Center. But my children sat with me as we huddled together in front of the TV, stunned and riveted.

It was scary for them. It was scary for me. It still is. All those years ago, someone said that if they continue to show the images on TV, we will become calloused to them and they will no longer shock us. I disagree. Every time I see the replay of any of it, it's like seeing it again for the first time.

I'm glad I let my children watch that awful day. They got more from that day than they would ever get reading about it in a history book.

* * * * *

We spent this weekend in Boston and the weather yesterday was identical to the day of tragedy 10 years ago. It was sunny, clear, crisp. People were all over the waterfront, laughing, talking, eating ice cream, enjoying the breeze and sunshine.

But we were all aware of what day it was. When we took the subway to dinner, there were ongoing announcements over the loud-speakers about staying aware, watching others, and reporting anything suspicious. The crowds were jovial, but we watched each other, slightly cautious, and sad that it has to be that way.

It's the world we now live in. We live our lives and enjoy ourselves, but now we are aware. Our eyes were opened on that day 10 years ago. And they will stay open, whether we want them to or not.

Copyright © 2011 - Paulla Estes

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post! I still enjoy your blogs. Your writing is great, Paulla! Miss you guys!