28 October 2011

October Snow?

When I hopped on the internet this morning to check Facebook, email, and the weather (yes, probably in that order), I found this:


We have a winter storm watch in our area for tomorrow evening into Sunday.

Now, understand that I love the first snow of the season. In fact, technically, our first snow was yesterday. I walked out of Hannaford's to big, feathery flakes mixed in with the rain. It was beautiful and exciting. I couldn't wait to tell someone. Anyone.

It's like that every year. But usually our first measurable snowfall is in December. Later in December. And if you know me, you know that by the end of January, I'm pretty much ready for winter to be over. No, honestly, by the end of January, I CAN'T WAIT for winter to be over. I start to crave spring colors and sunshine.

So, you do the math. We are in October. This is two months early. Most of the leaves haven't yet fallen off the trees.

At this rate, I'm going to be finished with winter before it even begins.

Copyright © 2011 - Paulla Estes

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I definitely couldn't live in Maine. Up in Northern California it still feels like summer, except when the temps drop at night. It's unseasonably warm for this type of year, but I'm not complaining. It's usually freezing by this type of year up here!

Connie said...

I'm waiting for you in San Diego...Your dad lives here, what's holding you back??

Brandi Mills said...

I know how you feel. I love snow, but I was going to put out our Halloween graveyard today. I'm going to have to put it off until at least tomorrow. I don't want it to be buried, or worse, blown away.

*Sigh* The perils of living in Maine...