18 November 2011

Day Eighteen - The Privilege of Homeschooling

It's difficult to express how thankful I am that we were able to homeschool our children. Homeschooling isn't for everyone, nor is it even possible for a lot of families. But when our oldest was having trouble in school at age eight, and the schools in California were... lacking, I am thankful we were able to pull him out and do it ourselves.

When I first started homeschooling my son and the girls were still toddlers, I figured I'd only do it for a year, to get him caught up. After the first year, it seemed like a good idea to do one more year. After that year, we thought we were going to move out of California, so for continuity, we continued to homeschool. By then, our middle daughter was joining in, and learning to read at the age of four.

By the time we did finally move to Maine, I was still saying we'd take it year to year. And then when my son hit middle school and the girls were well into elementary school, I figured, why mess with a good thing?

This spring, my oldest will graduate with his Master's Degree, my middle daughter will finish her freshman year in college, and my youngest will graduate from the local public high school. They are confident, strong, and they are not easily influenced by their peers. In fact, I think that is the biggest benefit of homeschooling. Homeschooled kids don't normally rely on their peers for their self worth; and that is a really, really good thing.

This is one of the things in my life for which I am so thankful, and if I had to do it all over again, I certainly would.

Copyright © 2011 - Paulla Estes

No comments: