04 November 2011

Day Four - My Baby Brother

The year I turned four-years-old and my parents told me were going to have a new baby in the family, I began to pray for the baby, just like my parents taught me to do. I prayed, first of all, that God would send me a little sister. Then I prayed that my little sister would be pretty, that she would like me, and all kinds of other four-year-old type prayers. I loved that little sister dearly.

And then the night my mom went into the hospital, my dad came back home and told me I had a new baby brother. Uh, ok… but where was my little sister? Suffice it to say, God didn’t answer that prayer the way I’d hoped. But I DID get a cute little brother.

Ok, in all honesty, he was an ANNOYING little brother - as annoying as they come. But then, aren't most little brothers annoying? No, I think mine was the king of annoying brothers. I was also the queen of uptight older sisters, so we evened each other out. We had all the little laughs and secrets and weird sayings that many siblings have, most of which we still remember to this day. No one will ever understand "Mommy hold you clay today fish" like my little brother. In fact, we don't understand it either, but it still makes us laugh. Isn't that what siblings are for?

For the past 20 years, my brother and I have lived on opposite sides of the country. He is in the Portland, Oregon area, and I bounced back and forth across the country between the East Coast and Southern California, before finally settling here in Maine. He has never been to Maine. I have been to Oregon once. We’ve met up a few times at our parents’ homes in California and New Mexico, but those visits have been few and far between.

We don't see each other nearly enough, but still... we are surprisingly close. We don’t talk as often as we’d like, but when we do, we usually talk for over and hour, and much of it is spent either laughing or discussing ways to save the world. We live very different lives, but we accept one another as we are. We weren’t always that way, but I’m so thankful that we are now.

One day I imagine we’ll see more of each other, once our parents become aged and need our help. I like that we are on the same page in that regard and that we have such a good rapport.

And I can safely say now that I am so glad God didn’t give me that little sister I asked for. I’m thankful he gave me a little brother instead. Not just any little brother - but THIS one. (The annoying one). :)

Copyright © 2011 - Paulla Estes

No comments: