14 November 2011

Day Fourteen - My In-Laws

I am tremendously thankful for my in-laws. And no, I'm not just writing that because they read this blog. The reality is that few of my family members read anything I write here. They all know about it and they read it sometimes, but they rarely remember it's even here and when they do, they often can't remember how to find it.

I have to begin by pointing out that I have my mother-in-law to thank for introducing me to my dear husband in the first place. She and my mom were room-mates in college about 100 years ago. After college they each got married and went their separate ways, but they always kept in touch through Christmas cards and random, once-or-twice-a-decade visits.

One of the visits took place at their Alma Mater in Texas, when all the parents attended their 25th college reunion. My future husband didn't go, as he was away at college in New York, but his sister was there. The whole reunion was a freak show in my 17-year-old opinion, and I thought the parents all very lame. Plus, at the homecoming football game, I had to wear a chrysanthemum corsage the size of a dinner plate. But then, that's Texas for you.

Apparently one of the early visits was the first time I actually met my husband. I was two-years-old and he was five. We don't have a photo and neither of us remembers it, but they tell us it's a fact. If we did meet then, it would be another 22 years until we were to meet again.

The most important visit occurred when I was 24-years-old and had a 4-year-old son. The future in-laws (which I still didn't know would be my in-laws) came to town and met my parents for lunch. My son and I were invited to go along too. At that lunch, my future mother-in-law, who is a very friendly and funny person, told me that I should meet her son because he is very tall and handsome and because she really wanted grandchildren. Yes, really. I had just come out of a bad relationship and really had no interest in meeting her son, but I played along and said yes, wouldn't that be lovely?

Within the month, my parents had a plan to drive to a city a few hours down the coast, where these future in-laws happened to be living, and where their handsome and available son would happen to be in town at the same time. My parents invited me to go along, and it was casually mentioned about me possibly meeting this guy, but I shrugged it off. I went along because I had nothing better to do, but I really wasn't interested in meeting anyone.

But we did meet. And suffice it to say, the date when well. Long story short, we got married five months later. That was 20 years ago.

In the subsequent years, we've all had our ups and downs, but I am here to tell you that I have some of the best in-laws around. Thankfully, they only live four hours away from us, and we see them several times each year.

They have been so good to us - they've taken care of our children, they've taken care of our pets, they let us live with them for nine weeks one summer when we were homeless and unemployed, and they've always just loved us for who we are. They have the same values that we have and they have helped to impress that upon our children. I might add, too, that they've always treated our oldest son as their own - so much so that I forget they didn't know him before he was four-years-old. They are fun and funny and we love spending time with them.

I am incredibly thankful for my in-laws, especially for my mother-in-law's matchmaking abilities. :)


Copyright © 2011 - Paulla Estes

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Awww...That is so sweet! I'm going to have to make sure my mom reads this post! :-)