16 November 2011

Day Sixteen - Modern Medicine

I think it's safe to say that we're all thankful for modern medicine. With the chaotic mess that is now our nation's health care, let's not lose sight of the fact that although the system may be broken, the product is not.

We have made unbelievable advances in medical care in just the last century. In fact, in just the last 50 years. Heck, in the last decade.

And not only am I thankful that there are now treatments for cancer, what about Novocaine and antibiotics? Childhood immunizations and flu shots? Ibuprofen and NyQuil? We live in a country where many types of medicine are available in every corner drug store.

I am thankful for modern medicine. My hope, however, is that every person on the planet can have access to that medicine. It is a tragedy that people are dying because of a lack of simple medications that we take for granted here in this country.

If you know me personally, you know I have a love/hate relationship with the medical community here in Maine. I won't go into it all now, but it's not the individual health care professionals that are the problem (well, ok some of them perhaps, but most are wonderful), rather, it's the bureaucrazy. Yes, you read that right. BUREAUCRAZY.

Yet, I am thankful. Very, very thankful.

Copyright © 2011 - Paulla Estes

No comments: