03 November 2011

Day Three - My Parents

Both my parents are alive and well. This is something for which I am incredibly thankful.

Forty years ago when I was a young girl, my I lost three grandparents within 10 years. Two were in their late 70’s, but the other was only 60. While medicine in the 1960s and 1970s had come a long way, it still had a long way to go. They died from colon cancer, emphysema, and a heart attack, respectfully. Today, with medical treatments being what they are, as well as current knowledge about diet and exercise, those grandparents might have lived many more years.

My parents are 69 and 70 years old and other than being a couple of decades older than me, they are as healthy as I am. Both exercise every day, eat right, and barring something unforeseen, will live many more years.

I treasure the relationship I have with both my mom and my dad, but I’m also thankful because my children have grown up knowing their grandparents; and now that they are entering adulthood, they are beginning to have adult relationships with those grandparents. They learn from them, share with them, laugh with them, and yeah let’s face it, they often laugh AT them, but both my mom and my dad are cool with that... when they get the joke.


Although both my parents live far away – my dad and his wife in California and my mom in New Mexico – I get to see each of them about once a year, and with Skype, email, cell phones, and Facebook, we stay in touch almost daily. And of course they like to visit Maine as often as they can.


My parents are not perfect (sorry Mom & Dad!) and over the years, our relationships have jostled over many bumps on the highway of life. But they are the parents God gave me. I wouldn’t be who I am today without them, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Copyright © 2011 - Paulla Estes

No comments: