02 January 2012

Looking Forward

I've heard many people commenting on how 2011 was for them. Many had a banner time, while many more are only too ready to say good-bye to such a tough year.

I realized yesterday that I hadn't taken the time to reflect on the year as a whole. I was too busy reflecting on the last couple of days, weeks, months. When I try to think about the year as a whole, it seems more like three or four years. It's been a long year, if nothing else, and it had its ups and downs.

So I've been looking back over photos and at this blog to see what exactly we did last year and WHY IT SEEMED SO LONG. The first thing I found was my New Year's Day Post from last year, and it didn't make me feel any better. This time last year, I was saying pretty much the same thing - that the year had been crazy, so crazy I was glad to see it go.

This causes me to pause and ask myself why all I ever remember are the bad times? Because life is hard? Sure it is, but it's also good.

So rather than gripe about how long and hard the year was, I choose to focus on the good: the fact that my second child graduated high school; the fact that my oldest is all grown up and I LIKE him; the fact that my husband still has a job - and one he really likes; the fact that although we are in debt, we can pay our bills; the fact that we have now been married 20 years, which is HUGE in this day and age; the fact that I have friends all over this great country, who are very dear to me; and of course the fact of good medical care.

I also choose to look forward. There is a lot of frustration and a lot of unknowns in our home right now, but there is also a lot of good. I choose to fixate on the good. I know I'll fail, because I always tend to fixate on the bad - but hey, it's good to have goals, right? :) Besides, I have this amazing family... imperfect and hard at times, but yet, there they are...


Happy New Year to you all, two days late. Better late than never? I think so.

Copyright © 2012 - Paulla Estes

1 comment:

Cara R said...

Beautiful picture of your family! :)